A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meterology warns that the thunderstorms are likely to produce giant hailstones, destructive winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Tenterfield and Dorrigo.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
A severe thunderstorm detected on weather radar near Rappville at 3:10pm could produce giant hail (greater than 5cm). This thunderstorm is moving towards the east/northeast.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:20 pm.