A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in parts of the Sydney and Wollondilly/Wingecarribee areas.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:55 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Bargo, Hill Top and the Crookwell district.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. They are forecast to affect the area south of Wilton, Thirlmere and the Nattai Tablelands by 4:25 pm and Picton, Wilton and the area west of Picton by 4:55 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Large hailstones and damaging winds are likely.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4:55 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra and Central Tablelands districts.