A severe thunderstorm warning for damaging wind and large hailstones has been issued for people in the Metropolitan, Illawarra, South Coast and parts of the Hunter, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meterology warns that the thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Bourke, Wollongong, Nowra, Batemans Bay, Eden and Katoomba. Damaging winds are more likely than hailstones in the northwestern area.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:45 pm.