A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in the Mid North Coast, Hunter, North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that the severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Taree, Newcastle, Gosford, Armidale, Tamworth and Moree.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:35 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.