A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for people in parts of the Scenic Rim and Southern Downs Council Areas.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the NSW border and the area south of the NSW border.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. They are forecast to affect Border Ranges National Park, Killarney and Mount Barney by 4:35 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4:35 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Darling Downs and Granite Belt and parts of the Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Herbert and Lower Burdekin, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, Maranoa and Warrego and Southeast Coast districts.