A severe thunderstorm warning for heavy rain, large hail and damaging winds has been issued for people in the Ipswich and parts of the Logan, Somerset, Scenic Rim and Brisbane City Council Areas.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:25 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Harrisville and Peak Crossing.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the north. They are forecast to affect Moogerah Dam, Amberley and Rosewood by 3:55 pm and Ipswich, Lake Manchester and Fernvale by 4:25 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4:25 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.