A severe thunderstorm has been issued for the Gold Coast this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meterology says a broken line of thunderstorms has developed over the far eastern Darling Downs and western parts of the Southeast Coast district, and is likely to move rapidly eastwards towards the southeast Queensland coast in the next hour or two.
A few of the storms embedded in the line may produce strong to damaging wind gusts over the warning area over the next several hours.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Brisbane, Coolangatta, Ipswich, Boonah and Beenleigh.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:20 pm.