A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has just been issued for people in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology says “a trough moving through the northeast of the state with high moisture levels in the atmosphere as well as instability is bringing storms.”
They say the severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Casino, Kyogle, Yamba and Maclean.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:05 pm.