UPDATE: A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for southeast Queensland this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
The warning area includes Ipswich, Logan, Scenic Rim, Lockyer Valley and parts of the Somerset, Southern Downs, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Southeast Coast and parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett and Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4.55 pm.