Six new COVID-19 cases in Qld, further restrictions put in place

QUEENSLAND has avoided another snap lockdown but further restrictions will be put in place following six new local COVID-19 cases.

Four of the new cases are linked to the aviation training facility in Brisbane, including a pilot who flew into Townsville.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said it’s believed they were all exposed to the virus on September 20.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“We still have to do a bit more work to clarify that but we believe that’s when it occurred,” Dr Young said.

“We think people started being infectious in the community from the 21st.”

It is expected there will be more exposure sites listed on the Queensland Health website later today.

“Now we have people who live in Townsville, Hamilton, the Gold Coast, North Lakes and Eatons Hill who been amongst those eight people, seven of them currently in Queensland, one of them currently in South Wales,” Dr Young said.

“As a result of those people being out infectious in the community, from the 21st, multiple exposure venues across Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Gold Coast and Townsville so very important that if people have been in any of those LGAs since the 21st, to please go online and check for all those exposure venues.

“There are quite a number of them.”

Another case is a Brisbane woman who went down to Kyogle in northern New South Wales and come into contact with a known case there who has the Delta variant of the virus.

She returned to her home in Camp Hill home and was infectious in the community from September 25-28.

The final case was a Queensland resident returning home from Melbourne. That case was detected in hotel quarantine.

However, the flight they were on, flight VA333 from Melbourne to Brisbane on 27 September, is now listed as an exposure site.

There are now 22 active cases across the state.

The Premier has decided against a snap lockdown and instead has brought in harsher restrictions across the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Logan, Townsville and Palm Island.

Those areas will return to Stage 2 restrictions from 4pm today.

RELATED | NRL Grand Final crowd reduced amid Qld’s COVID threat

It means the number of people allowed in a home and in public is reduced to 30, including visitors, residents, and children.

Weddings and funerals will be capped at 100 guests. A maximum of 20 people will be allowed to dance at weddings.

Restaurants and cafes will return to 1 person per 4sqm and dancing will be banned at venues.

Capacity at sporting events will decrease to 75 per cent, including Sunday’s NRL Grand Final at Suncorp Stadium.

It also means visitors will be restricted at hospitals and aged care, disability services and corrections facilities.

“Everyone realises that we’ve got to put these restrictions in place if we are to avoid a lockdown at this stage,” Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“So I want everyone to please take this very seriously and please do the right thing.

“I’m quite sure that we will be able to get through this like we have previously if we all do the right thing.”

The Premier said it was vital people got tested, vaccinated, and wore masks.

“We need people who have any symptoms whatsoever, we want to make sure that this is not seeding into the community so if you have any symptoms whatsoever, come and get tested,” Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“That’s why the next 24 to 48 hours will be very critical to see if there is any seeding.

“The next key is if you are not vaccinated, co and get vaccinated. That’s absolutely crucial.

“Can I stress to everyone, I need Queenslanders, especially in the south-east, to be wearing the masks.”