Solar panels spark blaze at Southport business

Faulty solar panels are being investigated as the cause of fire at a Southport business.

Black smoke was seen coming from the roof of Powertec Telecommunications on Olsen Ave around 11.50am.

The building was quickly evacuated as firefighters rushed to the scene.


Three fire crews attended including a ladder truck.

The blaze was out within 20 minutes with the building escaping serious damage.

Station Officer Mark Roser from QFES says the blaze was out in about 20 minutes.

“When we arrived we saw some black smoke issuing from the roof area of the building.

“Upon further investigation it looked like solar panels were on fire.

Image: Dean Shelton

Officer Roser said the flames weren’t big but there was plenty of smoke in the area.

The damage was contained to about seven solar panels while there was no damage to the building.

Fire investigators were due to inspect the scene this afternoon.