Police bring peaceful end to Parkwood siege after almost 20 hours of negotiations

9.30AM OCT 11: A STAND-off at Parkwood has been brought to an end, with the man at the centre of the siege taken into police custody. 

The emergent situation declared by police under the Public Safety Preservation Act at 5pm on Friday has since been revoked.

The declaration was made after officers were called to a Greenacre Drive residence with reports an armed man had barricaded himself inside and was making threats.


Just after 9am this morning, police forced their way inside the house after almost 20 hours of negotiations and detained the man.

Greenacre Drive has since been re-opened and the man has been taken to the Gold Coast University hospital for assessment.

Police confirmed the circumstances were mental-health related.

Police wish to thank residents in the area for their patience while officers responded to the incident.

If you are struggling to cope with a mental health issue and need someone to talk to, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

UPDATE: CHANNEL Nine have revealed an armed man holding police at bay on the Gold Coast tonight is a former police commissioner’s son. 

Paul Atkinson, the son of former commissioner of the Queensland Police Service Bob Atkinson, is still holed up inside his Greenacre Drive home at Parkwood after he’d reportedly armed himself with a knife and started making threats earlier on Friday afternoon.

He’s well known to officers and reportedly has a history of mental illness.

At 5pm on Friday, police declared an emergency situation as negotiators worked to coax him out of the house.

At midnight, the stand-off continued.

EARLIER: POLICE have this evening declared an emergent situation at Parkwood where an armed man is holed up inside a house, reportedly threatening himself and officers.

The declaration was made under the Public Safety Preservation Act just after 5pm after officers were earlier called to the Greenacre Drive address following reports a man was making threats.

It’s believed the man is armed with a knife and is the only person inside the house.

The street is closed and neighbouring residents are being told to stay indoors while police negotiate a peaceful resolution.

There is no further information available at this time.

PICTURE: Tom Delaney