State’s commit to lifting restrictions despite VIC outbreak

States are set to forge ahead with their original timelines on lifting restrictions despite fears of a second wave of coronavirus in Victoria.

Speaking following a National Cabinet meeting in Canberra on Friday, the Prime Minister confirmed all Premiers had agreed to stick to their three-phase plans, which would see the final stage of easing restrictions kick in next month.

The PM remained firm on his stance surrounding the reopening of the Australian economy and again urged states to push ahead with reopening the of the borders.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Queensland has flagged July 10 as the date borders would reopen to interstate tourists, however Annastacia Palaszczuk is yet to confirm the news.

Scott Morrison said an announcement by the Premier was expected to be made in the coming days.

“I understand the Premier of Queensland, there is the existing date of July 10 and I understand they are reviewing that and making further announcements about that date,” he said.

“That’s in the coming days. They have a review and they will take that advice and make a further decision. So as far as I’m aware, the date is July 10.

“If there is a change the Premier would advise.”

Mr Morrison praised the Northern Territory for the actions they were taking to reopen their borders on July 17, which will see anyone touching down from a hotspot forced to quarantine for 14 days at their own cost.

“I do think that is a reasonable way to do that and that’s exactly what the Northern Territory Government is doing,” The Prime Minister said.

“The Northern Territory Government is opening up and I commend the Chief Minister, Michael Gunner, for that approach. 

“If you have to fill out a statutory declaration going into the Northern Territory about where you’ve come from. If you’ve come from a hot spot, well, you’ll have to go into quarantine and that’s entirely reasonable.”

Mr Morrison said that “reinforces that this is about where the hot spot is and these are localised outbreaks”.

“If you live in Wangaratta as I said yesterday, or Wagga, you’re just as affected by what’s happening in the hot spots of Melbourne. And so, to have those sort of broadbrush-type restrictions really, I don’t think, makes an enormous amount of sense,” he said.

“This is part, I think, of a more tailored, a more localised response to outbreaks. Of course, people shouldn’t be going out of those areas and nor should people be going into those areas. That’s how you manage an outbreak. That’s exactly what the Victorian Government is doing. That’s how the New South Wales Government has also responded in terms of the hot zones. I welcome the approach followed by the Northern Territory.”

South Australia announced plans to reopen borders on 20 July, but has admitted they do have concerns about the spike in Victoria which recorded 30 new cases on Friday, marking the tenth day in a row of double digit growth.

Queensland has previously hinted at a July 10 border reopening, however that has not yet been locked in, while Tasmania has today confirmed it will reopen its borders to visitors on July 24.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments