A severe summer storm slammed into the Gold Coast on Sunday, lashing suburbs with lightning, heavy rain and strong winds.
The storm first barrelled into southern suburbs around 4pm AEST before swallowing up the rest of the coast.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
It produced a spectacular shelf cloud that swept over Surfers Paradise beach and out to sea.
Residents fascinated by the storm’s structure flooded social media with photos. Check them out below.
Visit www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings for the latest Severe Thunderstorm Warning.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.