Sydney company fined over coconut drink which killed 10yo boy

A Sydney food importing company has been fined almost $20,000 for failing to declare the presence of dairy in a coconut drink, causing the death of a young boy.

Narkena Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to three offences at the  Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday and were fined $6000 for each offence with the magistrate stating: ‘People rely on food being properly labelled.’

The sentencing comes two years after a 10-year-old Melbourne boy died from consuming the “Green Time Natural Coconut Drink” which was found to have traces of cow’s milk following tests by the Victorian health department.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


‘The consumption of the drink caused the death of the child,’ the Magistrate said on Wednesday.

‘The food standard requires milk and milk products be declared.’

Narkena has also been ordered to pay the NSW Food Authority $24,000 in costs.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments