Sydney COVID-19 cluster grows to three, with fourth under investigation

Sydney’s latest COVID-19 cluster has grown to three after another person tested positive to the virus overnight.

The new case is a woman in her 70s, who was at the Belle Cafe at Vaucluse, which had already been identified as an exposure site following yesterday’s two new cases.

A man in his 40s from Baulkham Hills has also tested positive in the past 24 hours, however, authorities are confident it may be a false-positive.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Investigations into that case are ongoing.

Health is still determining whether it’s a false positive or an old case as the viral load in his system was very low,” Premier Gladys Berejeklian said.

“On that basis, it could be a false positive or it could be an old case… And it is as yet unrelated to the eastern suburbs cluster.”

The man is not believed to have attended any of the exposure sites connected to the other eastern suburb cases.

Urgent contact tracing is underway for all cases, however, health authorities are urging anyone with symptoms to get tested immediately.

It’s also been revealed that yesterday’s first positive case, a limousine driver in his 60s from Bondi, has tested positive to the Delta virus strain.

“This strain does not match anything that’s been uploaded in Australia at this time, but it does match perfectly a sequence that’s been uploaded from the US,” NSW Health Minister Dr Kerry Chant told reporters on Thursday.

Mystery surrounds how the man picked up the infection, however, authorities are probing whether he may have contracted it while transporting overseas flight crew.

“If that is the possible hypothesis, he has not been infectious before the 11th,” Dr Chant said.

“Obviously, we are still putting the pieces of the puzzle together and testing in the community helps us.”

The man’s wife was also diagnosed with the virus last night.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments