Sydney lockdown expansion looming as state records 12 more COVID cases

The NSW Premier has warned the lockdown in Sydney could be expanded as the COVID crisis continues to rapidly escalate.

29 new cases were reported in the last 24 hours, 17 of those were already made public yesterday.

NSW Health is now treating 64 COVID-19 cases and one of those infected people is in intensive care.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned NSW residents, the current lockdown for city of Sydney, Woolhara, Waverly and Randwick could be extended, as exposure sites spread past the hotspot areas.

“Can I please thank everybody for adhering so quickly and so well to the orders which came into effect from midnight. But I am putting everybody on notice that we may need to extend that during the course of the day or tomorrow,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“That will be based on health advice and decisions taken by the Cabinet Crisis meeting

“The reason for our additional concern this morning is because the exposure sites have now increased beyond those areas of concern that we had,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“If we need to take further action, we will immediately notify the community.

“Can I stress very strictly: If you live or work in those seven Local Government council areas that we spoke about last Monday, do not leave Metropolitan Sydney under any circumstances. We do not want this virus transmitting in our regions.”

Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant, admits they are still very concerned about the spread of the virus.

“In terms of the overall picture, what we are seeing is that we are mopping up a train of transmission that was not previously unrecognised,” Dr Chant said.

“That means that there have been a number of people that have been infectious in the community unknowingly for a period of time and those individuals could have then already got to their infected their families.

“That is the reason for the escalation in concern.”

Health Minister, Brad Hazzard, said the government was extremely worried.

“I think it’s fair to say that there is a growing and more intense concern by the health authorities here in New South Wales and therefore the Government in New South Wales at the actions of this Delta variant of the COVID virus,” Minister Hazzard said.

“The Delta variant is proving to be a very formidable foe. No matter what defensive steps we are taking at the moment, the virus seems to understand how to counter attack in different locations.

“That’s causing us a high level of concern.”

Testing of sewage has detected fragments of the virus at a total of 12 sewage treatment plants in Camelia South, Paddington, Cronulla, Caringbah, Ireland Park, West Camden, St Mary’s, Lough Park, Maroubra, Auburn, Botany and Bourke.

Meanwhile, a man has been charged by police for not wearing face mask in Maroubra shopping centre.

Around 3pm on Friday, officers were patrolling the centre on Anzac Parade when they noticed a man wearing a face mask below his chin.

When police approached the 60-year-old man, he allegedly became aggressive and ignored the officers directions.

He ran off but was caught by officers shortly after and arrested.

He has since been charged with not wear fitted face covering in retail/business premises, intimidate police officer in execution of duty, and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

NSW Police Force have issued a total of seven $200 infringements for failing to wear a fitted face covering.