Police have slammed three removalists who they allege travelled from Sydney to regional New South Wales after testing positive to COVID-19.
According to NSW Police, the trio allegedly knew they had coronavirus and still travelled from West Hoxton to Molong, stopping in regional areas including South Bowenfels and Orange along the way.
“It will be alleged three of the men travelled to Molong after being notified they had tested positive to COVID-19,” police said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The men, aged 21 and two aged 27, were busted in Molong around 2.30pm on Friday after officers received information they had travelled there from West Hoxton.
They were slapped with court attendance notices for not complying with coronavirus directions and escorted back to Greater Sydney, where they have been instructed to isolate for 14-days.
“This thoughtless act has now placed our regional communities in NSW at the greatest risk so far with this pandemic,” Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said.
“We know that the delta variant is highly transmissible, and it is unfathomable to think that, with all the public information and health warnings, people could so blatantly ignore the health orders.”
State Emergency Operations Controller, Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys, said police will be increasing their response to ensure public safety is the number one priority.
“Currently, we are seeing millions of people right across this state doing the right thing being let down by a small minority who continue to be irresponsible and put themselves and their communities at risk,” Deputy Commissioner Worboys said.
“The state’s greater restrictions will see police ramping up our response across all of greater Sydney and regional areas to ensure people comply with the health orders and that public safety is the number one priority,” he said.