Teacher, students in hospital after fumes from gas leak drift through school

A TEACHER and three students have been taken to hospital after being overcome by fumes from a gas leak at a high school in the Scenic Rim, inland of the Gold Coast.

Emergency services were call to Boonah State High School, west of Beaudesert, around 12.30pm.

Paramedics arrived to find a dozen patients suffering from “respiratory distress symptoms” after fumes from a nearby gas leak drifted through the school.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The gas had been leaking from a 9kg gas cylinder located at a nearby rural machinery business.

It’s understood firefighters were on the scene attempting to contain the leak when the students fell ill.

A woman in her 40s and eleven young teenagers were treated by paramedics at the scene.

The female teacher, along with two boys and a girl, were taken to hospital in a stable condition.

Queensland Ambulance said the remaining eight patients were released into the care of their parents.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments