Teen in critical condition after contracting meningococcal in South Australia

A TEENAGER is fighting to stay alive in hospital after being diagnosed with a potentially deadly strain of meningococcal in South Australia.

SA Health released a statement on Wednesday afternoon, confirming the 19-year-old male from regional South Australia had tested positive to “invasive meningococcal disease B strain”.

He has been admitted to hospital in a critical condition, SA Health said. It’s the fourth confirmed case of meningococcal in the state this week, but SA Health says all four cases are unrelated.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Despite this being the fourth case this week, all cases are unrelated and meningococcal disease is only spread by close or lengthy contact so there is no increased public health risk,” SA Health said in its statement.

“SA Health has identified multiple people who had contact with this case, of which 13 people have been directed to receive antibiotic chemoprophylaxis.”

So far this year, there have been 25 cases of invasive meningococcal disease reported in South Australia. This is down from the 27 cases reported at the same time last year, and the 30 cases confirmed the year before.

For more information on the disease, including signs and symptoms, visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments