Teen critically injured after gas bottle explodes inside car in Sydney

A teenage boy is in an induced coma with critical injuries after a gas bottle exploded inside a car in Sydney’s west.

The explosion occurred in a car park on Anzac Parade in Fairfield just after 5:30pm on Sunday.

It’s believed a gas bottle which was in the boot of the car exploded after the driver lit a cigarette.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Police said a 15-year-old boy who was walking past the car at the time it burst into flames was critically injured.

He was rushed to Liverpool Hospital and has since been placed in an induced coma.

The driver of the vehicle attended Liverpool Hospital a short time later.

He, whose age is not known, is being treated for serious burns.

Police have sealed off the car park as forensic officers examine the scene.

Investigations are continuing.