Teens arrested after couple killed in horror hit-run crash

TWO teenagers who fled the scene of a horror crash that claimed the lives of a newly married couple in Melbourne have been arrested.

The 38-year-old man and his 32-year-old wife were killed when a stolen Lexus 4WD ploughed into their Holden Commodore in Wantirna South early on Saturday morning.

A 19-year-old male and a 15-year-old girl are accused of stealing the Lexus during a home invasion on Thursday.


Police said the teens had been travelling at “horrendous speeds” and ran a red light before smashing into the newlyweds car at the intersection of Stud and Boronia roads shortly after 1am.

The teens were then captured on CCTV cameras, running away from the scene leaving the newly married couple to die in the smoking wreck.

The newlyweds car | (Source: Twitter via Channel 10 Journalist Candice Wyatt / @CandiceWyatt10)

It’s understood the man was killed on impact while his wife, who was driving the car, succumbed to her injuries and died in hospital.

It’s understood the couple had only been married for 12 months and were just six kilometres away from their home when the crash occurred.

Police issued a public appeal to find the occupants of the stolen Lexus and, shortly after 1pm, arrested the pair at a house on Judkins Avenue in Belgrave.

The 19-year-old from Boronia and girl from Belgrave are under police guard in hospital where they are “receiving medical treatment”.

The stolen Lexus 4WD | (Twitter via 7 News Brisbane)

Speaking to reporters at the scene of the crash on Saturday morning, Acting Superintendent Stuart McGregor said the “abhorrent” events seemed to be “a bit of a game” for the teens.

“This behaviour is abhorrent,” he said.

“There’s nothing fun about this, this is not a game, this is real life, this is where people have died and this is where people will be going to jail.

“Everyone in the community just cannot understand how someone can think it’s right to travel at speed – horrendous speeds – through a red light and then when you know you’ve done so much damage to another car, to another person, to two people, to think of themselves and just flee.”

Supt McGregor said speaking to the man’s parents was one of the hardest things he had done in his career.

“I’ve had to stand at the intersection with the parents of one of the deceased … I’ve been able to explain how it has occurred but not why,” he said.

“The image of mum and dad of the male passenger will probably stay with me for the rest of my life.”