Terror suspect’s family ‘approached NSW Police’ after attack

THE family of an Australian-born man accused of murdering 49 people in Christchurch approached NSW Police after watching footage of the terror attack, it has been confirmed.

Speaking to media on on Saturday morning, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there were “no active threats” in NSW linked to the attacks in New Zealand.

Forty-nine people were shot dead and more than 40 others wounded at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Accused Australian-born terrorist Brenton Tarrant, 28, appeared in a Christchurch court on Saturday morning.

He’s so far only been charged with one count of murder, but New Zealand police say the 28-year-old is likely to be charged with a raft of additional offences as the investigation progresses.

Tarrant, originally from Grafton in northern NSW, was wearing a tunic and was handcuffed when he appeared.

Related: Accused Aussie-born attacker in court

Related: New Zealand PM vows to change gun laws

He did not apply for bail or to have his name suppressed and was remanded in custody until April 5.

“After the crime, my understanding is the family (of this man) did approach NSW Police after the incident was on TV,” NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

The accused’s family is assisting police with their inquiries.

Australia’s national terrorism threat level remains at “probable’, while the threat level in New Zealand has been lifted to ‘high’ for the first time in history following the attacks.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments