Thousands more Queenslanders now eligible for COVID booster

Pharmacists and doctors are bracing for a spike in vaccination bookings, with thousands more Queenslanders now eligible to receive their COVID-19 booster shot.

It comes after the State Government on Friday announced they were slashing the timeframe between second jabs and the booster from four months to three.

The change brings Queensland into line with health advice and other jurisdictions including NSW and Victoria.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Shortening the period between second doses and boosters from four months to three will give more Queenslanders better protection sooner,” Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“The Chief Health Officer advised me that it is safe to do that, and it brings us in line with what other jurisdictions are doing as well”.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said it means anyone who received their second vaccine before October 24 will be eligible.

“So anyone who had their second jab in October last year or earlier, you are absolutely able to come forward from today and get your booster,” Ms D’Ath said.

Currently, more than 60 per cent of Queenslanders have already received their booster shots.

It comes as Queensland prepares to hit its peak in cases by the end of the week, with the Gold Coast expected to be the first hit in just a matter of days.

“Gold Coast clearly has the largest number of patients, they have nine wards across the public and private sector with COVID patients and we’re expecting that to peak in the next few days,” Cheif Health Officer Dr John Gerrard told reporters on Sunday.

“Now, when will we actually see the number of inpatients fall? I’m hoping we will start to see it sometime in the coming week, that’s what the modelling suggests, starting with the Gold Coast and that’s what we’re watching every day”.