Trio charged over man’s brutal death

UPDATE at 12:30 PM on FRIDAY | THREE people have been charged over the death of a man who died after being brutally attacked following a night out in Ballina.

Aaron Marks, 38, was found unconscious with life-threatening injuries on a footpath in River Street around 2am on Sunday May 13, two hours after he was captured on CCTV leaving the local RSL Club.

He was airlifted to the Gold Coast University Hospital where he died three days later.


Aaron Marks, 38, died in hospital three days after he was brutally attacked in Ballina | (Source: Supplied/NSW Police)

Strike force detectives have been investigating Mr Marks’ death and, following extensive inquiries, arrested three people during an operation in Ballina yesterday morning.

Two men, aged 25 and 22, and a 47-year-old woman, were taken to Ballina Police Station where they spent the day being interviewed by homicide detectives.

The two men were each charged with manslaughter and were remanded in custody overnight to appear in Ballina Local Court this morning.

The younger man was also charged with assault causing death and supplying a prohibited drug.

The 47-year-old woman was charged with hinder investigation serious indictable offence.

She was granted conditional bail to appear before Ballina Local Court on Thursday, July 19.

FIRST at 2:30 PM on THURSDAY | THREE people have been arrested over the brutal death of a man who was allegedly attacked and left for dead after leaving the Ballina RSL Club last month.

Aaron Marks, 38, was found badly injured on a footpath in River Street around 2am on Sunday, May 13. He was unconscious and suffering from life-threatening head injuries, police said.

The Iluka man was airlifted to the Gold Coast University Hospital where he spent three days on life support before passing away from his injuries on May 16.

At the time, mystery surrounded exactly how the 38-year-old sustained his injuries.

Mr Marks had been drinking at the Ballina RSL Club on the Saturday night and was captured on CCTV leaving the licenced premises around 11.55pm, two hours before his body was found.

(Source: Supplied/NSW Police)

Strike Force Bulgundara was formed to investigate the death and comprised of detectives from Richmond Police District and the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad.

Following intensive investigations, detectives raided a house on Swift Street in Ballina this morning.

During the operation, three people – two men aged 21 and 27, and a 47-year-old woman – were arrested.

They were all taken to Ballina Police Station where they remain this afternoon, assisting detectives with their investigation.

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.