THREE people are dead after being trapped and burnt alive in a horror high-speed crash in the heart of Sydney.
The sole survivor of the catastrophic collision – a 39-year-old man – remains in hospital, lucky to be alive.
It was around 3am on Saturday when a high-performance Nissan GTR crashed at extreme speed in the CBD.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
It’s believed the vehicle had been travelling along Goulburn Street when the driver lost control and clipped an overpass barrier at the intersection with Harbour and Pier Streets.
Police said the GTR then flipped through the air before landing on its roof and bursting into flames, trapping all four occupants inside.
Armed with fire extinguishers, four officers who were first to arrive on the scene raced towards the burning car and tried desperately to douse the flames which had engulfed the vehicle.
Despite the frantic efforts of the officers to save all four occupants, only one could be removed from the car alive.
— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) September 9, 2017
The sole survivor, a 39-year-old man from Leichhardt, was rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in a critical condition with serious burns, extensive facial and head injuries and several broken ribs.
He remains in hospital this afternoon but his condition has since been upgraded to stable.
The driver and two other passengers – two men and a woman – were “effectively burnt alive”, police said.
Police were still trying to identify the deceased victims late on Saturday morning.
The charred remains of the Nissan GTR were taken away from the scene on the back of a tow truck this morning.
— Natasha Squarey (@NatashaSquarey) September 9, 2017
Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Superintendent Paul Pisanos confirmed speed was a major factor in the crash.
“Speed – and considerable speed at that – along with a loss of control are two contributing factors,” he said.
“These, unfortunately, are extreme cases that illustrate that excessive speeds and the manner of driving in built-up areas and any road in NSW can lead to catastrophic consequences.
“The sad part about it is… somewhere across Sydney there are people waking up (whose) sons and daughter haven’t arrived home from a night out in the city.
“So at this stage, there are probably people out there that don’t even realise yet that they’ve lost a son, or daughter, brother or sister in relation to a car accident.”
Parts of the major intersection remain closed to traffic this morning as forensic crash investigators examined the scene and tried to reenact the moments leading up to the tragedy.
— Natasha Squarey (@NatashaSquarey) September 8, 2017
Superintendent Pisanos said the three young male officers and their female colleague who risked their lives to try and save the occupants were extremely traumatised by the scene they were confronted with.
“Imagine today they’re pondering over their own actions and whether they could do more, which is quite unfortunate,” he said.
Police are appealing for anyone who might have mobile phone vision or dash cam footage of the crash, or the events leading up to it, to come forward and contact them.