UPDATE: Three of the four people killed in a horror accident on a ride at Dreamworld yesterday have been identified, however police have not yet officially released their names.
Two women, aged 42 and 32, and two men aged 38 and 35 died when the Thunder River Rapids they were on malfunctioned around 2.20pm.
Two children, a 10-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl were also on the same ride, however were thrown clear and miraculously escaped injury.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Some of the reporting on names and locations of victims has been inaccurate. We will not release until all NOK have been told. #Dreamworld
— QPS Media Unit (@QPSmedia) October 25, 2016
Investigators and workplace health and safety officers have returned to Dreamworld this morning to continue a major investigation into the deaths.
Eye witness accounts suggest one of the rafts malfunctioned on the conveyor belt sending two of the riders flying into the air, while the other two remained trapped underneath.
Officers and specialist forensic teams worked well into the night, scrolling through CCTV footage to see if it could shed any light on exactly what caused the tragedy.
They will continue interviewing a number of witnesses today, with support being provided.
Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced that a dedicated lifeline phone number has been set up to help anyone who may be affected by the tragedy.
If you’ve been impacted by the tragedy at Dreamworld, pls talk to someone. Lifeline has set up a dedicated number on 1800 543 354.
— AnnastaciaPalaszczuk (@AnnastaciaMP) October 26, 2016
Patrons at the park told reporters yesterday the ride was having issues earlier in the day, several saying it had been stopped a number of times throughout the morning.
Mayor Tom Tate says the tragedy, which is the first time anyone has lost their life at a Gold Coast theme park, is now in the hands of police.
“I understand a report will be prepared for the coroner in due course.
“This is a very sad day for our city. Our focus must be on assisting the families,” he said.
He said the support from the community already has been incredible.
“I have taken calls from corporate organisations and individuals in this regard. Our city has a spirit that will rally behind the families.
“Now is a time to let the investigators do their job and for our focus to move to the families.
“I will bring the right people together to see where, and what, services we can offer.
“A truly sad day for all,” he said.
Dreamworld have released a statement saying they will be closed until further notice.