Tiny house stolen from Canberra, towed to QLD

A 24-year-old man has been charged over the theft of a tiny house which was stolen from Canberra and spotted in Queensland a day later.

The Canberra Times reports the tiny home owner, Julie Bray, used social media to track her house down.

Ms Bray said five people, apart of group on Facebook calling themselves the “tiny house patrol”, helped her track the home down by posting their sightings on social media.


She was astounded when the house was first seen in Kingaroy, 220km north west of Brisbane.

From there it was tracked to the holiday town of Hervey Bay on the Fraser Coast.

“I’m a business owner turned private detective,” she said.

“At first I didn’t believe it, but then someone else contacted me (on Facebook).

“It’s absolutely remarkable.”


The home, valued at $20,000, was set to be the centrepiece of Ms Bray’s business at the Canberra Home and Leisure Show in October.


Queensland police said they found the home in a yard in Hervey Bay and charged a 24-year-old ACT man with bringing stolen goods into the state, he’s due to appear in Hervey Bay Magistrates Court on October 5.

The ABC compliled this timeline of events.

  • 8:15pm Sunday
  • Neighbours hear angle grinding in Ms Bray’s backyard and call police.
  • 8:30am Monday
  • Ms Bray discovers the tiny house was missing and posts photos on her Facebook page, which was shared hundreds of times.
  • 6:30pm Tuesday
  • Ms Bray checks her Facebook to receive a number of reports on the prototype’s apparent whereabouts, which she passes on to police.
  • She is told it was sighted late Monday afternoon at Kingaroy in Queensland, about 1,199 kilometres from Canberra.
  • By Tuesday morning it appeared to have made its way to Kilkivan, another 87 kilometres north of Kingaroy.
  • 4:00pm Wednesday
  • Members of the internet’s “tiny house patrol” tell Ms Bray they may have seen the house in Hervey Bay – yet another 200 kilometres from its last sighting.
  • 8:00am Thursday
  • Queensland police confirm a 24-year-old male was charged over the alleged theft.