Toddler perishes in house fire

A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy has tragically perished in a house fire in southeast Victoria.

The home went up in flames on the Great Ocean Road at Nullawarre, near Timboon, on Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the property about 250km west of Melbourne just after 9am.


Five people – two men, a woman and two children – were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Sadly, a two-year-old boy who remained unaccounted for was found dead inside the home.

The three adults and two children taken to hospital with smoke inhalation have since been released.

It is not yet known what sparked the blaze.

In a statement, Victoria Police said an arson chemist was attending the scene to establish the cause.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and will prepare a report for the Coroner.