Tomic gets his team back ahead of French Open

BERNARD TOMIC is hopeful having his controversial father and coach back by his side will spark a much-needed form revival.

John Tomic’s grand slam exile officially ended on Saturday as he oversaw his son’s training session on the practice clay courts of Roland Garros.

The French Open is the first major since the coach’s 12-month ATP ban expired earlier this month and tournament officials have confirmed he will be allowed to attend event, which starts on Sunday.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Tomic was banned for headbutting his son’s former training partner Thomas Drouet during last year’s Madrid Masters and given a suspended jail sentence by a Spanish court.

The former Gold Coast resident says it will be a relief having his father courtside when he opens his campaign against French 12th seed Richard Gasquet on Monday or Tuesday.

“It’s very good, it’s been a year and I’m happy to have him back,” Tomic said on Saturday.

“He’s very important and to have him on the side is very good.

“He knows a lot about my tennis and this is an opportunity for me. I’ve missed him the last year and now I get to have him back.”

Bernard confirmed his father would again be the major coaching influence in the camp and also indicated the French Open would be Zovko’s last tournament working with them.

Tomic’s ranking has slipped to 81, having won just one match since having hip surgery in February following the Australian Open.

The Australian defeated Gasquet at Wimbledon last year but, on the Frenchman’s favoured surface and Tomic still rebuilding strength and movement following the surgery, he is a huge underdog.

“I’m ready but I’m going to have to focus all the time because he’s going to have the crowd with him,” Tomic said of Gasquet.

“It’s going to be difficult but I have to keep on him and give my best tennis a shot.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments