NSW Police now think the death of a tradie back in February, could be linked to the illegal installation of satellite boxes and dishes.
Police were called after the tradesman collapsed while working in a roof cavity at a home in Sydney’s south.
Following the incident, St George Local Area Command established Strike Force Hetherington to investigate the death and whether it is linked to faulty wiring previously installed to illegally access subscriber television channels.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
It is believed a previous occupant may have requested the installation.
The investigation will also involve whether there is a syndicate providing cheap unlicensed electrical wiring services to clients including providing clients with unmetered access to the electrical grid.
Inspector Paul Simpkins from St George Local Area Command is concerned a number of houses throughout Sydney have been serviced by the syndicate and may contain dangerous wiring.
“Regardless of the reason, using an unlicensed electrician is extremely dangerous.
“The type of wiring we believe is being installed is particularly dangerous and could result in serious injury or death to any person who comes into contact with it,” Inspector Simpkins said.
Police are seeking public assistance to identify premises which may have similar faulty wiring.
Officers are urging anyone with information to contact St George Detectives on 02 8566 7475 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.