Trio jailed for raping unconscious mate with beer bottle on Australia Day

UPDATE 4:20PM | THREE young men have been jailed for raping their mate with a glass beer bottle after he had passed out at an Australia Day party in Brisbane two years ago.

Bailey Hayes-Gordon, Jacob Watson and Nicholas Jackson were on Friday each sentenced to two years’ jail, suspended after six months, after a 12-person jury found the trio guilty of the barbaric 2015 attack.

The Brisbane District Court heard how the trio, aged 18 and 19 at the time, were heavily intoxicated when they assaulted their 19-year-old friend as he lay unconscious. Read more below.


FIRST: THREE men have been found guilty of raping one of their mates with a beer bottle as he lay unconscious at an Australia Day party in Brisbane two years ago.

Bailey Hayes-Gordon, Jacob Watson and Nicholas Jackson were on Friday found guilty of assaulting the 19-year-old man following a four-day trial in the Brisbane District Court.

The trio had initially pleaded not guilty to the barbaric assault which allegedly took place after the victim had passed out at a party in Kedron, in Brisbane’s north, on Australia Day in 2015.

Co-accused Frazer Eaton was, in February, handed an 18-month suspended jail sentence after he pled guilty to holding the victim down by his shoulders during the assault. He was 21-years-old at the time of the offence.

During this week’s trial, the court heard details of how Jackson, then 19, rolled the victim over and restrained him by his feet, while Hayes-Gordon, 18, inserted the bottle and Watson, also 18, filmed the assault.

The trio was said to be heavily intoxicated at the time of the assault.

Hayes-Gordon is further accused of sharing footage and screenshots of the assault on Facebook and Snapchat, writing: “(The complainant) passed out so we stuck a bottle up his a*** and he just took it … Funniest thing I’ve ever seen, legit.”

However, Hayes-Gordon took to the witness box on Wednesday and denied penetrating the victim with a bottle, adding that his comments on Facebook were, quote, an “over-exaggeration” of the events.

The victim only became aware of the rape after footage of the attack was posted online days later.

After hearing days of evidence, it took jurors only a matter of hours to reach their verdict.

They retired to deliberate shortly after 3.30pm on Thursday and returned with a verdict around midday on Friday.

After the guilty verdict was read to the court, supporters of the accused erupted in the public gallery with Judge Anthony Rafter forced to warn those present to control their emotions.

It’s understood the trio will be sentenced this afternoon.