The Tweed and Byron Shires will emerge from lockdown on Tuesday night with no new cases being recorded in northern New South Wales.
The regions will also be welcomed back into the Queensland border bubble after being excluded last week.
Tweed and Byron were plunged into a seven-day lockdown at 5pm last Tuesday after a crew member on the TV production I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here tested positive to COVID-19.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The 31-year-old woman had a permit to travel to the region for work but is accused of breaching public health orders after going out into the community.
She’s alleged to have visited a number of venues without checking in, including the Kingscliff Beach Hotel.
New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazzard confirmed the lockdown would be lifted at midnight.
“So thank you to the community in those two areas who have complied with the directions in regard to the lockdown and thankfully we’ve had no further cases of concern so the public health team have advised that they can come out of lockdown,” Mr Hazzard said.
Tweed MP Geoff Provest praised the community for doing the right thing.
“While a single case has led to an outbreak elsewhere, it didn’t happen here thanks to the vigilance and discipline of Tweed people,” Mr Provest said.
Mr Provest is urging locals to continue to get vaccinated to avoid lockdowns in the future.
Queensland has this afternoon confirmed it will also reinstate the Tweed and Byron into the unrestricted border zone, allowing more people to cross the border for essential reasons.
That will come into effect from 1am on Wednesday.
New South Wales has recorded 863 new local cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday and a further seven deaths.
There were 132,279 tests carried out during that period.
Vaccination rates continue to grow with 85.7 per cent of people over 16 having their first jab while 60.4 per cent have had both doses.