Twin girls killed in house fire believed to have been sparked by burning candle

Twin girls, aged just 4-years-old, have died in a tragic house fire west of Byron Bay this morning.

Emergency crews rushed to a home along Mafeking Road at Goonengarry around 4am, following reports of the blaze.

Upon arrival, paramedics immediately began CPR on both children, however, sadly they were unable to be revived.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


A woman is being treated for shock.

According to police, the building is part of a “multiple-occupancy community”, about 30km west of Byron Bay.

Investigations into the cause of the blaze are now underway, however initial investigations indicate a candle left burning inside the home may be to blame.