Five stabbed as bikie gangs go to war on the Gold Coast

LATEST @ 4.15 PM | Rival outlaw motorcycle gangs have erupted in war across the Gold Coast, with five men stabbed and another shot in a string of violent incidents over just 48 hours.

A special taskforce has been set up to investigate the four separate scuffles, all believed to be bikie-related, however police have today assured locals that there is no risk to the public.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday afternoon, Detective Superintendent Brendan Smith said the violence first unfolded on the glitter strip on Friday night.


“There was an incident at a nightclub in Surfers Paradise, there was an altercation out on the footpath where subsequently five men were arrested for affray and issued with banning notices from the safe night precinct,” he said.

Later that night, in a separate incident, a man presented himself to the Gold Coast University Hospital with a gunshot wound to his arm.

Detective Supt Smith said it’s not yet known where the shooting occurred, but it’s believed to have happened “somewhere in the Southport area”.

The following night, around 10.15pm on Saturday, members of rival clubs became involved in a brawl in a park off the Gold Coast Highway at Burleigh Heads.

Three men suffered stab wounds and were rushed to the Gold Coast University Hospital in critical conditions.

“They all had significant stab wounds but none are life threatening… But as I said, it’s a millimetre here and there and you could be dead,” Detective Supt Smith said.

The violence continued into Sunday morning when a unit along Marine Parade at Biggera Waters was targeted.

According to police, accelerant was thrown at the front glass door of the property before a brawl erupted on the footpath outside.

During the fight, a 22-year-old Redland Bay man received four stab wounds to his abdomen and chest.

A 42-year-old Redland Bay man also received two small stabs wounds to his face and one to his left torso.

Both men self-presented at the Gold Coast University Hospital a short time later.

Detective Supt Smith said it is too early to determine whether all of the incidents are connected, but it is “certainly a line of enquiry”.

“Clearly two of them may be, but there’s probably two that are independent of the others,” Supt Smith said, adding that those involved are from “high profile criminal gangs” including the Mongols, Bandidos and Comancheros.

“I want to assure the public that there is no risk to them, this is clearly tensions between clubs and within clubs,’ he said.

“It’s very important for the public to understand that this behaviour is not tolerated by us and we will throw whatever resources we can at it to bring those responsible before the courts.”

Detective Superintendent Smith said he “certainly has no concerns about the safety of the general public on the Gold Coast”.

“These gangs historically always have disputes… We’re fortunate enough to have the resources and intelligence to keep targeting them to keep the community safe,” he said.

So far, five people have been arrested following Friday night’s glitter strip brawl, with two people in custody following the incident in Biggera Waters early this morning.

Investigations to track down everyone involved are continuing, with police expected to provide further details tomorrow.

Detective Supt Smith said he believes the weekend chaos has been sparked as a “matter of convenience”.

“They’re all driven by greed,” he said.

“It’s a mindset of power, one week they’re best mates and the other they are stabbing each other.”

EARLIER @ 6.15 AM | TWO men are critical after being stabbed in a suspected bikie brawl in Burleigh on the southern Gold Coast.

Emergency crews were called to a park just off the Gold Coast Highway in Burleigh Heads around 10.15pm on Saturday following reports of a fight.

Upon arrival, they found a man in his 30s with wounds to his back.

A second man, whose age is not known, suffered wounds to his chest.

The pair were treated at the scene by paramedics before being rushed to the Gold Coast University Hospital in critical conditions.

Critical care paramedics and the High Acuity Response Unit were on board for transport.

No complaints have been made at this stage, however, a Queensland Police spokesperson has confirmed to myGC that investigations are continuing.