Men arrested after women found dead in their homes

TWO men have been arrested over the deaths of two different women whose bodies were found in neighbouring suburbs in Melbourne’s southeast on Saturday morning.

Emergency services made the first discovery while responding to reports of a fire at a house on Maria Court in Cranbourne North just after 10.30am.

When crews arrived at the address, they found a woman deceased at the property. Her age and cause of death was not immediately known.


A search followed for several other occupants of the house, believed to be a 38-year-old man and three children, who were unaccounted for.

Thankfully, they were all found safe and well five hours later, at a residential address in Berwick.

The 30-year-old man was arrested and taken into custody where he remains tonight, assisting homicide detectives with their investigation.

Police said all parties who were involved in the incident are believed to be known to each other.

An autopsy will be conducted on the woman’s body to determine exactly how she died.

In a separate incident, 90 minutes after the first, a second woman’s body was found less than four kilometres away at a home in Hampton Park.

Police were called to the house on Redwood Avenue just before midday and arrested a man at the scene.

The man, who police said knew the deceased woman, remains in custody tonight, being questioned investigators.

In a statement, Victoria Police confirmed they were treating the woman’s death as suspicious.

“The cause of death is yet to be determined but is being treated as suspicious,” the statement said.

The scene at Hampton Park is just a 10 minute drive from the crime scene in Cranbourne North.

Police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in relation to either incident.

The homicide squad is investigating the circumstances surrounding both discoveries.

The news out of Melbourne comes after a woman’s body was reportedly found bound inside a burning house near Newcastle, in NSW overnight.

Crews were called to reports of explosions at the single-storey brick home at Raymond Terrace just after midnight and arrived to find it well alight.

Firefighters worked frantically to extinguish the inferno, which had consumed the house, but it was too late.

Sadly, a 76-year-old woman was later found dead in the home, which was totally destroyed in the fire. Her body had reportedly been tied up.

A 68-year-old man who was allegedly seen fleeing the burning house was arrested a short time later after crashing his car on the Pacific Highway, 75km away.

He remains under police guard in hospital with serious injuries.

Read more here.

If you are in immediate danger call 000 now.  If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support.
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
DV Connect Queensland Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline 24/7 phone 1800 811 811
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732
Domestic Violence Prevention Centre Gold Coast