Two new cases as authorities keep ‘close eye’ on southern states

Queensland has recorded two new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, however authorities are not concerned.

The new cases, a man in his forties and a man in his thirties, were infected overseas and tested positive while in hotel quarantine.

One case is being managed by Metro North Hospital and the other by Metro South Hospital.


There are now eight cases still considered active across the whole state.

It comes after it was revealed NSW is preparing to reopen the border to Victoria on Monday November 23, one week before Queensland decides whether it will allow residents from Greater Sydney back into the Sunshine State.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said health authorities will continue to monitor the virus situation in the southern states in the meantime.

“I have said all along that we will review those border decisions at the end of the month… The Chief Health Officer will provide her advice to us and we will take that” Ms Palaszczuk said.

The Premier continued by praising Victoria for their efforts to eliminate the virus, with the state recording zero new cases and deaths in recent days.

“What is encouraging from Victoria of course, is the really low number of cases,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“But of course they’re coming out of lockdown so we are going to be looking very carefully over the course of November to see how they go.

“Our number one goal is to keep Queenslanders safe, it’s worked very well so we are going to listen to Dr Young and we will do whatever she says in terms of the next steps at the end of the month.”

Ms Palaszczuk confirmed community transmission of COVID-19 is the main concern for health authorities.

“We will be looking at community transmission, that’s the key thing,” she said.

“As Victoria starts to open up, we want to make sure we continue to see the flattening of that curve… I’m pretty sure that’s going to be the number one thing for our Chief Health Officer.”

In Queensland, more than 5,242 were swabbed for the virus in the past 24 hours.