Two new COVID-19 cases linked to MCG emerge in Victoria

Victoria has recorded two new local COVID-19 cases, on top of the ten infections announced earlier this morning.

The new cases, an adult and a child, are linked to the MCG, with both having attended the Carlton and Geelong AFL clash at the stadium on Saturday.

Victoria’s Covid-19 testing commander Jeroen Weimar said the pair were sitting in level 2 of the Members’ Reserve.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


They appear to be linked to a man in his 60s, who tested positive earlier this week after attending the clash.

Mr Weimar said it appeared to be a case of “stranger to stranger transmission”.

“We do not believe they are known contacts of the other two positive cases we know were there,” he said.

“They were sitting in very different parts of the ground… There’s no obvious relationship between them. The interviews and discussions are ongoing as we speak”.

Around 2000 people who were sitting in the same block have been identified as Tier Two contacts and have been urged to get tested immediately.

While 23 people have been identified as Tier One contacts because they “sat in close proximity”.

“We asked all tier one and tier two to get tested as a matter of urgency… We saw a good response on that yesterday. My thanks to everyone who did that,” Mr Weimar said.

It comes after Victoria recorded 10 new local cases earlier this morning, all of which were announced yesterday.

All ten cases are linked to the NSW outbreak, with the virus spreading from an infected family who returned to Melbourne from a NSW red zone and a group of removalists who entered the state from Sydney.

There’s reports Victoria will be plunged into a snap lockdown from midnight tonight in order to get on top of the outbreak.

All details are expected to be confirmed at a press conference this afternoon.