Two feared dead in ‘suspicious’ Logan house fire

UPDATE @ 2.00PM | A fire that destroyed a Logan townhouse is being treated as suspicious, with Police confirming a woman, feared dead in the blaze, was given a temporary restraining order just two weeks ago.

The 49-year-old woman and a 49-year-old man, believed to be the woman’s former partner, remain unaccounted for after the blaze in the Browns Plains complex around 4am.

Preliminary investigations indicate the fire was deliberately lit.


Investigators have still not been able to gain access to the property and concede it may be days before they are able to conduct a search.

But Police admit they fear the worst.

“It’s quite a complex scene, quite a difficult scene. It will take some time before we’re able to safely search the scene to see if there are indeed remains present,” Chief Superintendent Brian Swan said.

“We hope for the best but our fears are that someone may have lost their life and that’s a terrible thing.”

Police have confirmed the woman was a resident of the townhouse, but the man was not, and they are now looking into the relationship between the pair.

“It appears that earlier this month a DV order was issued by the Beenleigh Magistrates Court and that’s obviously forming part of our investigation.

“Anyone with any information around those two persons, if they know them, please contact Police.”

A vehicle believed to belong to the male was found in the carpark of the complex.

If you are in immediate danger call 000 now.  If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support.
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
DV Connect Queensland Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline 24/7 phone 1800 811 811
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732
Domestic Violence Prevention Centre Gold Coast

EARLIER by Monique St Clair | There are grave fears for two people, who remain unaccounted for after a unit fire in Logan this morning.

Fire crews were called to the two-storey unit block in Browns Plains around 4.00 am, where they found the building well alight.

They were able to get the flames under control in around 30 minutes.

Investigators returned to the scene a little later in the morning, where they’re still unable to get access to the building.

Two people – believed to be residents – are now unaccounted for. Police are yet to reveal any identifying details about the pair.

Paramedics were on standby at the scene but weren’t required to treat anyone.

A crime scene has been established and investigations are continuing.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments