Two sharks caught and shot following twin attacks [photos]

TWO large tiger sharks have been caught and shot at Cid Harbour in the Whitsundays where two tourists were mauled earlier this week.

In a statement, a Fisheries Queensland spokesperson confirmed the two sharks were caught on a single drum line on Saturday.

It’s understood the first shark was hauled out of the water about 11.45am, while the second was brought to the surface 10 minutes later.


“One measured 3.3 metres and the other was over 2 metres,” the Fisheries Queensland spokesperson said.

“While sharks of this size are potentially very dangerous to humans, it is unclear if they were responsible for injuries caused to two swimmers this week.”

Two sharks were caught on the one single drum line on Saturday | Photos: Instagram/@sailingpopeye

Two sharks were caught on the one single drum line on Saturday | Photos: Instagram/@sailingpopeye

The sharks were shot dead and will be towed “well out to sea” where their carcasses will be disposed of, the statement said.

Officials told myGC it was standard practice to assess the sharks’ stomach contents, before dumping their carcasses at sea.

Three baited drum lines were set in the harbour on Friday morning after two tourists were mauled in the area within 24 hours.

Two sharks were caught on the one single drum line on Saturday | Photos: Instagram/@sailingpopeye

Melbourne schoolgirl Hannah Papps, 12, was savaged on the leg while swimming in the harbour with her father and sister on Thursday.

The 12-year-old remains in a critical but stable condition after undergoing surgery to save her leg in Brisbane.

Thursday’s horrific attack came less than 24 hours after Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick, 46, was mauled in the same harbour.

She remains in intensive care at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital following a marathon 18-hour operation to reconstruct her right leg.

Fisheries Queensland patrolling the area following the twin attacks | Photo: Supplied

Justine’s husband Craig released a statement earlier today, thanking surgeons for their incredible efforts.

“Justine has been opening her eyes and blinking in response to mine and Lynne’s voice,” he said.

“The current prognosis is looking good with an estimated two-three weeks recovery in Brisbane and then back to Tasmania for further rehabilitation.

“All of us would like to thank the surgical team for their marathon effort.”

Baited drum lines will remain in place at Cid Harbour for at least the next week.

“The use of drumlines removes large dangerous sharks from a specific area and reduces the risk to people,” Fisheries Queensland said.

Fisheries Queensland advises swimmers follow the below guidelines:

  • Swim or surf only at patrolled beaches and between the flags
  • Obey lifesavers’ and lifeguards’ advice, and heed all sign and safety warnings
  • Leave the water immediately if a shark is sighted
  • Do not swim or surf after dusk, at night or before dawn when sharks are most active
  • Do not swim or surf in murky waters
  • Do not swim in or near mouths of estuaries, artificial canals and lakes
  • Never swim alone
  • Never swim when bleeding
  • Do not swim near schools of fish or where fish are being cleaned
  • Do not swim near or interfere with shark control equipment
  • Do not swim with animals.