Man fighting to stay alive after horror M1 crash at Oxenford

UPDATE: IT has been revealed a man critically injured in a horror crash on the M1 at Oxenford was not wearing a seatbelt.

The crash occurred along an 110kph zone on the Pacific Motorway near Movie World at around 2.30am on Sunday.

Police said the man’s Nissan Navara was travelling north when it veered off the left-hand side of the motorway and smashed into the back of a semi-trailer parked in an emergency phone bay.


According to 7News, the driver of the truck had activated his hazard lights and pulled over to take a phone call when the 4WD ute smashed into the back of it.

The Nissan Navara was barely recognisable, its cab twisted and wedged beneath the truck’s trailer.

Police said the driver was not wearing a seatbelt and was saved only by the vehicle’s airbags.

Astonished that the man was still alive, rescuers worked quickly to remove the driver from the mangled mess.

He was trapped in the horror wreck, but only for a short time.

The man sustained life-threatening injuries, including severe facial wounds and multiple fractures.

He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition where he remains tonight, fighting to stay alive.

The two left-hand lanes of the M1 were closed for up to nine hours after the crash between Oxenford and Helensvale while the Forensic Crash Unit examined the scene.

2.20PM | TRAFFIC has returned to normal on the Gold Coast’s M1 following a horror crash at Oxenford this morning which left a man fighting for his life in hospital.

The accident occurred in the northbound lanes of the Pacific Motorway near Movie World around 2.30am.

Police said a ute slammed into the back of a prime mover and trailer parked on the side of the highway.

[fb_pe url=”” bottom=”30″]

The heavy vehicle is believed to have had its hazard lights activated at the time.

The 33-year-old man behind the wheel of the ute sustained life-threatening injuries.

Fire crews were forced to the cut him out of the vehicle, which had became wedged beneath the truck’s trailer.

PHOTO: Kelly Lane

PHOTO: Kelly Lane

The 33-year-old was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital where police said he remains this morning in a critical condition.

Two left-hand northbound lanes remained closed to traffic for more than nine hours after the crash, with investigators having spent the majority of the morning examining the scene and clearing the wreckage.

As a result, northbound traffic was thrown into chaos. At one stage, traffic was backed up bumper-to-bumper for more than eight kilometres.

PHOTO: Nathan Elcoate

PHOTO: Nathan Elcoate

The affected lanes have since been reopened and traffic has returned to normal through the area.

Police have interviewed the driver of the prime mover.

Investigations by the Forensic Crash Unit are continuing.

For the latest live traffic conditions across the Gold Coast, click here.