Victoria has recorded 10 new local cases of COVID-19 but authorities believe they have a strong handle on the situation.
Two of the new cases were reported yesterday after a couple tested positive on the New South Wales South Coast.
They have since returned to Victoria.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The number of cases linked to an outbreak at a Thai Restaurant in Black Rock has now grown to 18.
Officials have also confirmed that the cases in Victoria originated from the Sydney outbreak.
“Genomic sequencing results have been received from the samples from the Victorian outbreak and it has established they are directly linked to the New South Wales cluster,” Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said on Saturday.
More than 18,000 people turned out to be tested on Friday despite lengthy delays at testing centres across the state.
Victoria’s Commander of COVID-19 response Jeroen Weimar believes they have control of the outbreak at this stage.
“Yes, absolutely, collectively as Victorians we are on top of this. If you look at the key measures we’ve been talking about this case for the last number of days and all of the positive cases we’ve seen so far have come from the close contact field,” Mr Weimar said.
“We have strong connections between the positive cases. We have a clear field of 220 close contacts who are doing the right thing. We have secondary contacts who are being asked to do the right thing. We are getting great cooperation from businesses and exposure sites who have been running on the whole a really good contact tracing arrangement and QR system and we’ve seen a great response from Victorians.
Meantime, two New South Wales residents are facing fines of $19,000 each after escaping from authorities at Melbourne Airport.
The pair arrived on a flight from Canberra and were directed to go to hotel quarantine but fled in a car.
They have since been tracked down in Goulburn in New South Wales.