Victoria confirms four new cases of COVID-19

Victorian officials have confirmed the state has recorded four new local cases of COVID-19 in Melbourne’s north with the city on edge again.

A man presented for testing on Sunday after becoming ill on Thursday.

He was accompanied by a male relative who was not showing any symptoms, however, both returned positive tests.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Other family members were then isolated and tested with two more people, a woman and a child, also being diagnosed.

High Point Shopping Centre in Melbourne’s northwest and a swim school at Bundoora in the city’s northeast have been listed as exposure sites.

Officials are now investigating potential links to a man who tested positive after returning to Melbourne’s north earlier this month following a stint in hotel quarantine in Adelaide.

Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley says they are awaiting genomic sequencing to get a better idea of where they might have contracted the virus.

“Given the proximity of the gentleman from early May who returned from hotel quarantine in Adelaide who lives in that city, we do not rule out the prospect that there is a link,” Mr Foley said.

“The dates do not line up immediately so we cannot rule out if there is a missing link out there.

“In terms of this gentleman’s infectious period being from May 18 and the fact that our original hotel quarantine case from Adelaide was well and truly in hotel quarantine in Victoria during that period, they do not cross over in that period in terms of incubation.” 

Mr Foley says more exposure sites are likely to be released over the coming days as they continue to interview those who are infected.

The Minister says they are not ruling out imposing further restrictions.