Warning after Christmas tree sparks Gold Coast unit fire

A Christmas tree has sparked a small unit fire on the Gold Coast overnight.

Emergency crews rushed to a complex on Aquila Court in Mermaid Waters just before 8.00pm, after receiving a number of triple zero calls.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Service spokesperson told myGC the lights on the Christmas tree are believed to be to blame for starting the fire.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Thankfully the blaze was out upon arrival, with all residents able to evacuate themselves without injury.

However there was significant smoke throughout the apartment, with crews launching into action to ventilate the unit.

The incident has sparked a warning from authorities about the potential dangers Christmas lights pose.

The State Government has issued the following safety tips:

  • Buy Australian-compliant Christmas lights (non-compliant lights are often sold on the internet from overseas).
  • Check old Christmas lights for damage before re-using them.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Don’t alter or modify lights.
  • Ensure all lights, extension leads and power boards are suitable for the intended use (e.g external or internal).
  • Test your safety switch and smoke detector to make sure they are working.
  • Keep Christmas lights out of reach of children.
  • If you have a living Christmas tree, switch off and unplug lights when watering the tree.
  • Always turn off decorative lighting before going to bed or leaving your house.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments