Imagine going to do your laundry and finding one of the world’s deadliest snakes wrapped around your washing machine…
That’s what happened to this Queensland couple, who received the fright of their life after spotting the highly venomous Eastern Brown trying to blend in with the cables of their machine.
Stuart McKenzie from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers took to Facebook to warn home owners about the dangers of getting too close to snakes after the family sent him a close up photo of the slithering serpent.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“The home owners sent me in this photo of the big fella, please note though that they got a little too close to take this photo,” Mr McKenzie said.
“Please ensure you are a safe distance away from a snake in your house or yard even if you are trying to get a good photo. A good photo is not worth getting bitten over!”
When asked what the safest distance from the snake would be, Mr Mckenzie said “2 or 3 metres”, but stressed that it would be “more for a highly venomous snake like the Eastern Brown”.
Thankfully the snake managed to make its way out of the laundry and into the bush on its own.
The Eastern Brown snake is considered the world’s second-most venomous land snake after the inland taipan, with sixty per cent of snake-bite deaths in Australia from Eastern Browns.