Pet owners are being urged to keep a close eye on their pets, with a large number of wild mushrooms popping up in backyards due to recent weather.
The warning was posted to Facebook by Lucky Paws Dog Rescue on Tuesday, following the sad revelation a dog had passed away after ingesting what is believed to have been a mushroom.
In the post, a resident claimed they had witnessed a pet owner at the vet with their beloved pooch, who sadly could not be saved after eating the fungi.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Today I witnessed a very distraught young mum at a Vet surgery carrying out her 6-month-old Golden Retriever pup who had just passed away,” the post says.
“According to the vet nurse, the mum had let her pup out to the toilet and went to check, only to find him with a mushroom/toadstool in his mouth. Taking no chances she rushed him to the vets (20 minutes away) but sadly it was too late.
“In Queensland and NSW we have had a lot of rain and high humidity of the past few days… These fungi can appear before your very eyes given the conditions.
“Please share amongst your groups just how toxic mushrooms can be. Not all fungi are toxic, but most of us can’t tell the good ones from the bad ones.”