Warning for pet owners over potentially deadly mushrooms

Dog owners are being urged to keep a close eye on their pets, with a large number of wild mushrooms popping up in backyards due to the recent wild weather.

The wet and humid conditions has seen an inundation of the potentially fatal fungi on lawns and parks across South East Qld and NSW over the past few weeks.

While not all of the mushrooms are toxic, vets are urging pet owners to be extra vigilant and to keep their inquisitive fur babies well away from them.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It comes after a beloved pet dog passed away last year after ingesting what is believed to have been a wild mushroom.

In a post on the Lucky Paws Dog Rescue Facebook page, a resident claimed they had witnessed a pet owner at the vet with their beloved pooch, who sadly could not be saved after eating the fungi.

“Today I witnessed a very distraught young mum at a Vet surgery carrying out her 6-month-old Golden Retriever pup who had just passed away,” the post said.

“According to the vet nurse, the mum had let her pup out to the toilet and went to check, only to find him with a mushroom/toadstool in his mouth.

“Taking no chances she rushed him to the vets (20 minutes away) but sadly it was too late.

“In Queensland and NSW we have had a lot of rain and high humidity of the past few days… These fungi can appear before your very eyes given the conditions.

“Please share amongst your groups just how toxic mushrooms can be. Not all fungi are toxic, but most of us can’t tell the good ones from the bad ones.”