WARNING: Family’s beloved French Bulldog dies after eating popular houseplant

A devastated dog-mum is urging pet owners to be aware of poisonous plants after her French Bulldog died after eating a popular palm found around many Australian homes.

Kate Wagner recently took to Facebook to issue the urgent warning in a bid to prevent other families from going through the same heartbreak of losing their furry-friend.

In the post, she said her beloved dog Lily became extremely ill and ended up fighting for her life for two weeks before eventually passing away after eating a $5 Sago Palm.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“I’d like to spread the word about this houseplant because I had no idea when I purchased it that this little 6-inch plant would become my nightmare,” Ms Wagner wrote.

“On Saturday, May 16, Lily passed away in our arms. She fought hard, loved hard, and gave us a couple butt wiggles just before she just couldn’t fight any longer,” she said.

“We loved her so very much and gave her all the love and care in the weeks since the incident we could possibly give. We are truly devastated.”

Ms Wagner says the Sago Palm is a common houseplant and landscaping plant that is “extremely toxic to humans and animals causing liver failure and death from even minimal exposure.”

Kate continued by saying that her story is “very difficult to tell” but she “felt compelled to share this information” in the hope it will help other pet owners identify and remove poisonous plants around the home.

“If you are a houseplant lover, please research your house plants prior to purchasing. Even if you think the house plant is in a secure location, mischievous little paws may still get into trouble,” she said.

“There have been many tears shed, dollars spent, and guilt felt… all because of a $5 plant.”

Subscribe
Notify of
2 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

I am certainly beside you on you & your familie’s heart breaking loss. This is a unformuate happening& it was purely uncertain..I’m sure Lily knows how you feel & would want the family to. mourn & remember her wirh happy memories & the reciprocal love you shared. . Love to you all.

My boy just went through a week of having some sort of toxic poisoning from the garden, more a wild mushroom we think, thankfully he made it through, his 12, so my heart goes out to yours, it is absolutely heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing, it must be very hard, but may save another dogs life. They ?❤❤