WATCH: Sundale Bridge upgrade passes halfway mark

The multi-million dollar upgrade to one of the city’s busiest stretches of road has officially passed the halfway mark.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate today confirmed construction of a fifth lane on the Sundale Bridge is now well underway.

The added lane forms part of a $34 million project, which includes upgrades to Waterways Drive, Main Beach Parade, and Macarthur Parade.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Mayor Tate said the project would significantly improve safety in the area as well as northbound traffic flow through Southport.

“Works to create the third northbound lane on the Sundale Bridge are well underway and are on-time and on budget,” Mayor Tate told reporters on Thursday.

He said that without the upgrade, the delays on the busy stretch could increase by up to two hours by 2041.

“Once completed, travel from The Spit to Southport is projected to take only eight minutes during peak times,” the Mayor said.

As part of the upgrade, 1,700 metres of new pathway has been built to encourage walking, running and cycling around Main Beach.

While the Macarthur Parade and Seaworld Drive roundabout has also been converted into a signalised T-intersection.

The project first began in August last year and is expected to be finished by late 2021.

WATCH:

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments