WATCH: Teen charged over ‘copycat’ school email threat

A teenage boy has been charged over an alleged copycat email threat, which saw a North Sydney school evacuated last week.

The bomb hoax was sent to North Sydney Boys High School on October 29, just days after more than 30 high schools across Sydney were evacuated after also receiving threats via email.

However, police said the email sent to the North Sydney school was inconsistent with those received earlier in the week.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Following investigations into the source of the threat, Cybercrime Squad detectives executed a search warrant at a Southern Sydney home about 7am today where they took a teenage boy into custody.

During the arrest, police said the boy allegedly spat on a NSW Police Force civilian employee.

He was taken to Kogarah Police Station and charged with use carriage service to threaten to kill, use carriage service to make hoax threat and common assault.

The boy was granted strict conditional bail to appear at a children’s court on Wednesday 25 November.

Several electronic devices, including computers and mobile phones, were also seized from the property and will undergo further examination.

Investigations into the circumstances and origins of the other email threats, which are not believed to be linked to the North Sydney incident, are continuing.

WATCH:

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments